Saturday, August 2, 2008

14 weeks, 4 days and all is well!

Had my monthly check up yesterday and all is welll! My blood pressure is low (80/50) but there's nothing to do about that. Just sucks that I get dizzy when I get out of bed in the morning or when I stand up. Not stand up quick, just stand up. That kinda sucks.

This is the first appointment Donald came with me. We got to hear the heartbeat for the first time, and together, so that was a great moment. I said to him, "See? It really IS in there!". His heart rate was 150 bpm and he was wiggling and dancing around in there.

My next appt. is on Sept 2, both for the detailed ultrasound and my normal monthly checkup. They'll be able to tell the baby's gender, but in Vancouver they won't tell you until after 20 weeks as there are still so many cultures that abort if it's a girl.

Yes, still to this day and in this country.

I'll find out the following week, so that's all good.

I'm not gaining weight at all, but it's nothing to fret about. I'm at 122, which is what I was at at 9 weeks. I'm just stretching outwards! Hunting down stretch-mark cream preventer now! (They say almond oil or wheat germ oil does wonders... but I don't want to smell like a snack.)

I'm thirsty all the time. Craving juices and pop actually, but having cold cold water instead (ok, I have the odd pop, but only one every couple of days). I'm craving fruit like mad so I'm happy about that! Loving the apples, nectarines and oranges, and all the fruit is coming in from the interior so it's local and lush and fresh and delicious!

Haven't been exercising AT ALL, so starting pre-natal yoga soon. Probably 2 times a week and then walking each night. I just don't like to walk alone, I find it boring, so I'm trying to persuade Donald to come home a bit earlier and walk with me after supper each night. Which means having supper before 8:30pm!

Enough about me. On to the baby!

He's growing his first hairs on his head, and his body is covered with lanugo. He can grasp things, squint, frown and grimace! (I suspect he grimaces every time Chicken or Ling Ling decide to lay on my belly and knead!)

His ears are functioning and there is evidence that he hears quite a bit... my voice, my heartbeat and external noises. The umbilical cord transports 300 quarts of fluids per day, completing a round trip every 30 seconds (whatever that means and whatever that does, but WOW!).

He is about 3.5-4 inches long and weighs 1.5 ounces. Pretty cool.

This is what he looks like at 14 weeks:















Later.
s.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?